Friday, October 29, 2010

Dear Y 10-02-06

Dearest Y.. I've been wanting to write down your birth story for some time now.. I always want to be able to rememeber every detail of our special miracle..
You actually came earlier than we expected! 3 weeks to be exact!  We moved into our new house.Daddy and I spent the weekend before we moved in painting and cleaning.. It was tough trying to do everything at 35 weeks pg!! Daddy wouldn't let me do hardly anything, because he didn't want anything to happen to you or me.. = ) Well, we finally got moved in, and started trying to unpack boxes, and repacking suitcases for our vacation to V.A. Beach for your aunt yayas wedding..!! We spent 5 nights in our new house before we had to leave for vacation. I did get to wash up all your baby clothes 2 days before we left..  I got them folded but not put away..  We had a wonderful time on vacation.. I didn't have hardly any contractions.. Your aunt Shasha (who is pg with your cousin Ash) and I dug belly holes in the sand on the beach so we could lay out on our tummys with out hurting you girls or ourselves! Aunt Yaya and Uncle Harry Potter were married on the beach, it was a beautiful wedding.. Aunt Jamie and I did all the decorating.. It was exhusting but well worth the work.. I was very tired on the 11 hour trip home..My head was hurting and I kept having vision disturbances.. ( looks like fireworks) and my feet were swelling and when I would press on them they made dents.. (uh oh)... So we desided to spend the night in a hotel.. Daddy wanted to watch the Ohio State game anyway. (they won of course) So we all welcomed the break..
 We finally made it home on Sunday afternoon.. Daddy went to church  that night, but I didn't feel like it...So I stayed home to unpack suitcases and get your clothes hung up and put away.. I also set up your layette and bassinette in the dinning room so I wouldn't have to run upstairs everytime I had to change you.. I set up your other bassinette in our room also.. I guess that somehow I knew you would be coming soon.. My nesting instinct was kicking in really strong!  Well, the next day.. Monday, October 2nd 2006 started out ordanary.. Me and Z woke up and got dressed and went to work at Mommaw's and Pappaws house..  (the office is at their house) Actually, we had to take a shower at their house because our well water at our house was terrible! And I didn't want to bathe myself or Z  in it till we got our water softner put in.. 
 I still hadn't had a minute to pack a hospital suitcase.. I did leave a small one in our closet when I unpacked from vacation with the intent of repacking it for the hospital.. I should have done it Sunday night, but I was too tired.. and thought I'd do it after work on Monday.. But....... Of course, I didn't get to go home after work.. = )  I had to go to my 37 week OB appointment at 1:30.. So we left Mommaw and Pappaw's house and went to the Doctors.. We met Mommaw at the office so she could watch your sister while I went in..
 I had to wait a little while for the Doc Orafu to come in.. So they had a student nurse come in and she had to ask me a few questions for her evaluation at school.. It was kinda funny the questions she asked.. She needed to know what I had to eat in the last 24 hours.. = ) haha.. I told her that she picked the worst day to ask that question.. (I actually try to watch what I eat..) Remember, we were driving home in the last 24 hours.. = ) So I had to tell her that I ate a bacon egg and cheese biscit from Hardees for breakfast.. A Jr Bacon cheese burger from Wendys for lunch.. And we ordered Pizza for supper after we got home.( we really needed to do some serious grocery shopping) Totally a unhealthy and all junkfood diet!! I did explain that I never eat that, but under the circumstances! She and the other nurses thought it was pretty funny..
 Well, after the student nurse and the ob nurse had their laugh, they took my blood pressure.. It was pretty high.. 145/85.. (mine usually runs 115/60)  My OB finally came in looking very conserned and took my bp agian.. It was even higher that time..  She looked at my feet and saw that they were swollen, and I told her that I had a head ache (since the Thursday before) and I was seeing spots. I also gained about 8 pounds in one week. She tested my reflexes, and they just confirmed what we both feared.. Preeclampsia again..  She checked my cervix and I was dialated to 2 cm..  She proceeded to "strip my membranes" Which is where she seperates the cervix from your bag of water..(membranes) It releases hormones that causes contractions..  She told me to go straight to the hospital.. Not to make any stops on the way there and to make all my phone calls after I got there.. And that she would call the hospital and let them know I was on my way there.. Her consern was really worring me!!! I walked out to the car where your mommaw and sissy were waiting.. I told your mommaw that "we are going to have a baby today!"  I could tell she was kinda panicking a little..  I called your daddy and told him the same thing.. He was at work, and didn't have a way to get to the hospital. So he and mommaw figured out a way for her to go pick him up.. Since he rode with his brother and didn't have his car with him) I disobeyed my OB's orders and called a few people before I left the parking lot. I called my Mom-in-law and sis-in-law.. I just need to let a few people know so they could start praying!!!
 Luckily, I had brought along my bathroom bag to work that day, (remember, I had to shower there because our wellwater was soo terrible). Atleast I did have that!
Daddy was about 20 mins away when I got to the hospital, so I thought I should probably go ahead and go in.. It wouldn't be good if I had a sezuire, stroke or heart attack in the hospital parking lot by myself.. So there we went, me and you up to the materity foor.. I told the lady in the elevator that I was going to have a baby today.. haha, I was still getting used to the fact myself!! = ) She just smiled and said good luck..
   2:30 pm ..Well, the nurses where ready and waiting for us when we walked up to the desk.. They made me pee in a cup and put on a gown, get into bed hooked up an IV and hooked up a bunch of monitors to my belly to make sure you were still doing okay.. (I could hear your heartbeat on the monitor, it made me feel better just to hear you!) My nurse, Mary Beth was the best! She was calm and explained everything to me..
2:45 pmBy this time I had dialated to 3cm in just about 30 mins from the doc office.. She went ahead and hooked up the Pitocen to the IV.. They drew some blood from me to test and see if I needed a special medicine called Magnisum Sulfate.. It is a life saving drug, but the side affects are horrible. It doesn't decrease BP, but it does keep me from having seizures or a stroke/heart attack.. (from the high blood pressure) . I had to have it when I was in labor with your sister.. I was terrified of having it again.. I really didn't want it!! I asked my mom-in-law to call our church prayer chain to pray.. She did and it ended up that I didn't have to have it..(Thank God!)
 3:00pm Daddy is finally got there! I felt soooo much better when he got there.. I made a list of a few things I needed and Mommaw went home and got them.. She also called Uncle Rance and Aunt Jamie and they came up from Newark to cheer us on!!
 3:30 pm contractions are coming every 4-5 mins..I'm 4 cm dialated.. They are starting to get stronger.. Nothing I can't handle, but they are annoying me! You are doing very well.. Heart beating stongly.. Daddy and I pray that all will go well.. My blood pressure is coming down some.. It went as high as 155/92.. (not as high as it was with your sister though..Over  200/110) But still high.. I believe God was answering our prayers.. Because it didn't keep going up like it did with Mackenzie.. It was actually comeing down somtimes to 120/80.. ... I try to get some sleep..
6:00pm 5cm dialated.. Dr, Orafu comes in and breaks my water.. That is an odd feeling.. Yuck!! = ) This is the turning point!! My nurse comes in and asks if I want an epidural.. I tell her yes, but to take her time getting the anistegiologist- sp.. the pain wasn't that bad...  As soon as she left the room though my contractions started reallllllllly hurting!  And I wished that I had told her to HURRY!!
6:15 pm.. He is here, bless his heart!!! The anistegiologist has me sit up and slouch my shoulders in between contractions.. I feel a pinch and my epidural is in.. Ahhh relief is coming!
7:00pm Can't feel contraction right now.. I know I should some sleep but I cant!! I'm tooo excited to see you! Daddy leaves to get some food for himself and me some popsicles.. While he is away, my epidural wears off on the right side of my body.. I can feel everything on the right side and I can't move my left leg.. I call the nurse and she has me turn from side to side but nothing is helping... Mommaw is there trying to comfort me.. Finally Daddy gets back.. And he tries to help me consintrate through contractions..
8:00pm When we get phone calls we tell them that you will probably be here around 2-3am..
8:45: I feel pressure to push! I call the nurse in and she checks my cervix.. I'm 7 cm.. She waits..
8:50pm Contraction, and the nurse checks my cervix. 8 cm.
8:55pm Same thing. Contraction, the nurse checks.. 9 cm
9:00pm Contraction, nurse checks again... 10 CM!! COMPLETE!! YEAH!! She has me give a small push.. And then tells me not to push anymore, that she is calling my doctor in!!
Lots of stuff going on now in our room..  They are breaking the bed down, and bringing in a mirror.. Getting a warmer ready for you, and Dr is getting dressed in her birthday garb!
9:25 pm Starting to push! I have to really consintrate where to push.. I can feel you moving down the birth canal.. I know that I will be able to see you soon!!!  I feel another contraction and push.. Daddy says he can see your head.. You have black hair he says.. I look down into the mirror and can see it for myself.. It gives me more energy to know you are just about here.. I push again and this time your head comes out!! I can see you in the mirror, your face is all scrunched up and beautiful.. Dr suctions your nose and mouth.. I push one more time and your little body slips out into dr's arms.. It's a girl! the nurse says.. I am sitting up now, trying to see you... I desperatly want you to cry.. And you do.. It is a huge relief to me!! I feel all choked up with emotions.. Daddy is kissing my forehead and telling me how happy he is.. I hold my hands out and Dr. puts you on my belly where daddy is able to cut your umblical cord.. It's a magical, sereal moment.. I am looking at you for the first time.. Trying to find something familiar in your face... you look alot like your big sister.. You are crying loudly.. I love the sound and I tell you so! I kiss your little wet head.. Daddy is touching your leg.. Mommaw is taking a bunch of pictures.. and talking to aunt yaya on the phone.. Mommaw called her right before you were born so she could hear you be born.. She can hear you crying and she is getting all emotional herself!! = ) The nurse takes you to the warmer where she can finish drying you off. You are yelling out your protest!! Your apgar scores are great! 9 and 9! 10 is the perfect score.. But compared to your sisters 2 & 4.  Nine is awsome! I will take that! The nurse wraps you  up and puts a hat on your head.. She hands you to daddy and he hands you to me.. I hold you close and send thank you prayers to God.. I try to get you to nurse, and you latch on right away.. I notice that you are breathing kind of fast.. So I tell your nurse.. She takes you to the nursery.. I am worried about you.. and so is everyone else.. Your pediatrition sends you to Akron Childrens Hospital Neonatal Intisive Care Unit..(NICU) 50 mins away for our house.. You have respitory distress syndrom.. Your lungs aren't all the way developed.. and you are having a hard time breathing.. But it only takes a few days for them to finish developing and finally you can breath normal.  But unfortunitly you developed jaudice.. Your levels are 20.. (that is seriously high) so you have to have phototheropy for 3 days.. You finally get that out of your system.. And after several days in the NICU we finally got to bring you home!!
 I love you my sweet little Y...  I am blessed to call you my daughter.
 - Mommy

1 comment: